Friday, July 07, 2006

My New Appreciation for South Park


Well! I apologize for not posting recently, but due to my belief that nobody really reads this anyway, coupled with the fact that I've told about 3 people that this even exists, I feel that my absence has not been met with much sorrow. In any event, since returning from Russia and China, I have found myself attaining new levels of boredom. As a result of this newly found free time, I have become reacquainted with a show that I have always liked, but never fully appreciated, South Park.
In its hey day, South Park was the "gross-out" comedy. The show earned its reputation and early fan-base with toilet humor, and it was during this period that I first began watching the episodes. I made a point of catching it when I was around, but never planned a schedule around it, (which I have done for some shows in my life, notably "The Colbert Report", and my usual 6 hours of CNN!). I believe the show is only getting better, and while I have enjoyed episodes of Family Guy from time to time, I think South Park's criticism of the show is dead on. (I also believe that this will unfortunately cause me to watch every future episode of Family Guy with a more negative eye). So, Since I've been home, I've been watching as many episodes as I can in order to quell my incessant boredom with the show's clever take on numerous world events in relatively recent time frames (I believe the "Terry Schiavo" episode occurred within the week after she died). In any event, I just thought I would alert people to what I was doing! I'm now off to watch one more episode. I've gone so far to buy a whole season on dvd, and I feel that there is no time like the present to watch episodes of South Park, while hoping that I can unwind!


-Todd

1 comment:

hellboyhitscar said...

although i find myself on the opposing side of your south park v family guy debate, i too appreciate the more up to date humor of SP. (due to the fact that they have a staff of computer animators that can put a whole show together in a day or two, upon getting a script) my favorite episode is still to this day, the one where scott teterman sells his pubes to cartman...who after discovering he's been duped sets up a plan to have scott eat his own parents. its fantastic.