Tuesday, January 05, 2010

The Top 10 Most Misleading Band Names

When I considered restarting my blog, I had a number of ideas which were intriguing, but a little over my head as far as my rusty writing skills go. So, I figured that baby steps would be the most appropriate way to begin. Therefore, I’ve decided to write a list of the “Top 10” most misleading band names. When I say misleading, I mean that upon hearing their name, and not knowing anything else about them, one is likely to think they belong to a particular genre of music. The bands I’ve chosen are usually far from what they are believed to be on first impression. Now, I’m sure I’ve left some bands off the list, and I’d be happy to hear anyone’s ideas. Of course, I set a few ground rules for myself. For one, I haven’t listed any band names that appear to be “ironic” and I haven’t included any bands whose names run contrary to my personal opinion of their music, (For example, why are they called The Police? After all, they’re the ones who should be arrested for recycling that one basic song idea...etc.). So, without further ado, here is my list.

10. The Zombies
Long before anyone considered the idea of the undead as synonymous with a particular genre, there appeared a pop focused psychedelic group with a slew of popular singles in the late 1960’s. With the winds of change creeping up on them, the band entered the studio and recorded “Odessey and Oracle” which rivals only Love’s “Forever Changes” as the premier example of Baroque pop. While the album originally suffered a fate similar to the band (which broke up shortly after its release), it gained a second life through incredibly positive peer reviews, and the eventual success of the single, “Time of the Season.” Despite this, the album’s impact has been mainly regulated to other musicians and the poor unfortunate metal fan who judging the group solely by their name, believes that they have found the natural successor to the legacy of bands like Slayer and Death.

9. Supertramp
When you hear this band for the first time it’s hard to not think of a frightening woman wearing a boa, shimmying around with her clothes slightly askew and voice cracking due to a cigarette habit originating from her pre-teen years. Or at least that’s what I first thought. The truth is quite the opposite. The band, whose current notoriety deceptively conceals their impact and prevalence in their prime, was at one time at the top of the 70’s progressive rock fold. In fact, Supertramp seems to have fallen into the category of bands like Herman’s Hermits, in which everyone knows their songs, but can never actually name the band. In any event, there seem to be some people who are aware of Supertramp’s true identity. The recent ahh-hem, “sample” of “Breakfast in America” by hip hop group Gym Class Heroes proves that some people, even for evil purposes, have discovered the truth.

8. Mannheim Steamroller
This is one of those bands in which I would prefer to listen to the literal intrepretation of their name, (in this case a steamroller), rather than their “artistic” output. With a ridiculous name that reminds you of the hard/progressive rock bands of the 1970’s, the promising label is completely evaporated in the electric synth Christmas music that is the band’s specialty. Unavoidable during the holiday season, “The Steamroller” (as I assume they prefer to be called by their “fans”) literally does that to the nerves and patience of any December shopper. Despite this, you have to give them credit. By hiding their true identity, countless albums have been picked up by 13 year old burgeoning music fans who along with their new Mountain and Grand Funk Railroad albums, journey home with the hope of true mindless bliss. Naturally, “The Steamroller” is all too happy to oblige.

7. The Flying Burrito Brothers
The problem with T.F.B.B. is not the music, which originally budded within The Byrds (and the album “Sweetheart of the Rodeo”), before detaching itself and floating into country rock heaven through their debut album, “The Gilded Palace of Sin.” The problem is the band’s name. When most people think of a burrito, they think of the stereotypical Mexican dish, which brings to mind hopes of other stereotypes, notably Mariachi bands. Despite this, T.F.B.B. specialized in a type of country rock, which influenced the kind of musicians with a fan base who feel more at home building a border wall than actually eating a burrito. Unfortunately this knowledge would come all too late for the poor lad who was entrusted with the simple errand of picking up “Mexican” music for his brother’s “fiesta” party. His shame after popping in “Burrito Deluxe” can only be accurately calculated by the years he will be ostracized from any degree of responsibility on the part of anyone who considers throwing a theme party.

6. Big Star
It’s unfortunate that the state of Texas has permanently ruined any combination of the world “Big” and “Star” for me. It’s even more unfortunate that Alex Chilton didn’t realize that by naming his new band Big Star (he had been the lead singer for The Box Tops, with such songs as “The Letter”), he would unintentionally fool a lot of would be fans into thinking he was part of a Texas based pop-country band. Perhaps most recognizable today as the group who originally wrote the theme to “That 70’s Show,” Big Star is a band who may sound anachronistic to anyone who grew up in the 90’s listening to Matthew Sweet. It was Big Star’s unique blend of the melodies and harmonies of pop music with the electric guitars so typical to rock that influenced musicians like Sweet and made “power pop” possible. Unfortunately, the specter of terrible country music from the likes of Lonestar and Big and Rich hang over the band like a cowboy’s lasso. Although it might be the “Tequila Talkin,” it seems that until Texas takes its rightful place in the purgatory of bad taste, Big Star will continue to ride that mechanical bull straight to the bargain bin of any Alabama Wal-Mart.


5. Savage Garden
In the spring of 1996, the grunge/alternative rock band Soundgarden released their last album, “Down on the Upside.” Featuring such hits as “Blow Up the Outside World” and “Burden in My Hand”, it seemed a nice end to a solid band. Less than a year later, another “band” with the word garden in their name appeared. Featuring the word “savage” rather than “sound”, it could be argued that the latter band would be much harder. Nothing could be further from the truth. Hailing from Australia, this two man pop group released such forgettable gems like, “I Want You” and “Truly Madly Deeply”, both of which I had to look up for this article. Apparently they later released music even more forgettable than the songs listed above, but fortunately their lack of talent and the penetrating glare of those who bought tickets expecting to see a grunge band forced them to give up the ghost and they broke up in 2001. Unlike Soundgarden (who will reunite for the first time since 1997 this year), nobody cares if guy #1 and guy #2 ever reunite, and it’s possible that the dingoes have long ago carried their talentless bodies deep into the Australian bush where they belong.

4. Spinal Tap
Close your eyes and think of a Hard Rock or Metal band. Think of them playing together, the lead guitarist holding his Gibson Flying V, while the drummer pounds away on his double bass drum. The music is heavy and deep, the kind of music Satan really gets into. Now think of a name. Was it Spinal Tap? Probably. The perfect name makes this the go to “favorite” band of the musically uninitiated. It’s so easy to pick this name out of their air to provide some credibility when talking about a genre you don’t know enough about. Unfortunately the realization that this band is purely artificial (despite releasing a few albums) and was designed for a comedy film makes you look like the ultimate douche whose only comfort is the mound of Monkees albums in the corner of your room. Of course, this situation was damning 15 years ago when many bands were still real and organic. Fortunately now that all groups seem bred from the mind of some record company executive, Spinal Tap’s 2009 album “Back from the Dead” may be one of the most genuine albums in recent memory. It seems that irony may have a purpose after all.

3. MC5
The combination of a number and the letters “MC” make this an obvious hip hop group. The truth is somewhat different. MC5 were in reality a proto-punk band with a radical political philosophy and fantastic live shows. This potential alone would guarantee their elevation to influential status, despite their short run. After their breakup they were seen as the quintessential precursor of what would be punk, but despite this they were unhappy. You see, they had always wanted to be the source of hip hop, and had even used their connection to the “White Panthers” as a possible in. Despite this, they just couldn’t make that leap, and rumors abounded that their break up was due to this failure. In the face of insurmountable odds, they went back to the Motor City (the source of MC) and met with another person who was struggling with his band’s name. Melvin Glover was touring with his band Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five and was looking for a catch all to describe himself. Noting that both groups liked the number 5, Melle Mel talked to the guys and noticed their disappointment in not being the source of Hip-Hop. Taking it on his self to finally give white people some credit for music, he took the “MC” moniker and changed its meaning to Master of Ceremonies. The rest is history.

2. Blondie
Blondie is a group that’s doubly deceptive. The name hints at a possible pop singer named “Blondie.” She is probably attractive, and her music is not very good. Well if you thought that, don’t feel bad. You are still right about at least one of them. Unfortunately, Blondie was a new wave band from the late 70’s fronted by a woman named Debbie Harry who many still insist on calling Blondie. This coupled with their punk rock history and obvious lack of pop credentials makes this a band you could imagine would send most pre-teen pop fans running for the nearest Britney Spears album. Of course you couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s hard to say why. It could be due to the pop sounding name, or possibly because of the younger generation’s often quoted love affair with the comic strip Blondie and the lovable sandwich eating husband Dagwood. It’s a difficult question. One thing that is certain is that Blondie remains the “punk” band for girls who want to show how bad they are. Girls who aren’t afraid to wear eyeliner, or even come home past 10. Then again, aren’t these the kind of morally deficient values that recent pop music promotes? Perhaps I’m wrong, and Blondie is exactly what it claims to be? Either way, the name deceives those both who want punk and those who want pop. It’s this reason that Blondie gets #2.

1. Grateful Dead
This band is the reason I’ve written this entire blog. No band in history has selected a name so unfitting toward the type of music they’ve chosen to play. As I’ve written about The Zombies, the idea of death should be relegated to band’s whose utter lack of talent is overshadowed by the imagery and themes they choose to promote. Any garage metal band would die to use this name. Unfortunately, the Grateful Dead got there first. Using their new title, they proceeded to insult those who desired the name by making music that utilized everything but the very genres you’d expect. First they chose to use skulls, but not frightening evil looking skulls, but skulls with flowers or sometimes lightning but not in an appropriately dark way. Then, by utilizing their mix of jazz, folk, blues, country and rock, “dead heads” (fans of the band, Slap!) simply called the group “The Dead” (yet another slap, now they have two great names!). They also released multi-colored “deadie bears,” which admittedly insults more than just metal fans. Of course the biggest offense was their hippie roots, a known anathema to all who follow the metal lifestyle. All of these listed things, and the fact that hundreds of budding metal fans have undoubtedly fallen victim to the siren call of this inappropriately named band, makes the Grateful Dead, in my opinion, the #1 most misleading band name of all time.


-Todd

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish not acquiesce in on it. I think precise post. Particularly the title-deed attracted me to review the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense to get income with a money that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'll be glad to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense to get income with a sum that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'll be glad to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Man, I completely agree with you on that.

There's just way too many fools out there that can't grasp.

In fact, I was arguing with my sort of friend kate yesterday about this, and
they wouldn't believe me that he was wrong. Now I can just show them your blog :)

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about how technology has become so integrated in our day to day lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.

I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further advances, the possibility of copying our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about every once in a while.

(Submitted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://cryst4lxbands.sosblog.com/-b/Will-the-R4-or-R4i-work-b1-p2.htm]R4i[/url] FFOpera)

Anonymous said...

I'm in a love-hate relationship with digital memory because of the way prices are always falling. I hate buying SDs for my R4 / R4i at (what seems to be) a bargain price only to see it become ten percent cheaper a couple of weeks later.

(Posted by Nintendo DS running [url=http://cid-2602f0e287041cef.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2602F0E287041CEF!106.entry]R4i SDHC[/url] SerVo)

Anonymous said...

Well I assent to but I about the post should acquire more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

good, i just made tons of fresh emo backgrounds 2 my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info

Anonymous said...

Technology really has become one with our daily lives, and I think it is safe to say that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.

I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further develops, the possibility of transferring our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could experience in my lifetime.

(Posted from SeKu for R4i Nintendo DS.)

Anonymous said...

Nice story you got here. It would be great to read more about this topic. Thanks for sharing this data.

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.

Anonymous said...

unlock iphone 4
how to unlock iphone 4

I have over thousands of virus on my pc according to the Spybot-search and destroy after scanning but it won't fix the problems. I've also used norton but my free trial is over.I've used 4 anti-virus softwares but it's no use. Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks.
unlock iphone 4 how to unlock iphone 4 unlock iphone 4
I have a virus which disables safemode theirs a program that forces the computer into safe mode I ran it and my computer is trying to go into safe mode but the virus is disabling it and causing y computer to endlessly loop and not turn on, ever! I tried recovery consol and everything just had to make an account to ask this because no one knows the answer. I have been tryign to remove a couple of viruses that disable my taskmanager and my safe mode boot. So to force my computer into safe mode, i used bootsafe. Now my computer is stuck in an infinite loop attempting to go into safe mode but it restarts into the first page. I went into recovery consol and typed DEL boot.bat that seemed convincing so i retryed and it didnt work. So im desperate for help. Theirs years worth of pictures in their. how to unlock iphone 4

unlock iphone 4 unlock iphone 4 [url=http://theunlockiphone4.com]unlock iphone 4 [/url] unlock iphone 4